Home Health Aides Should Take Standard Precautions
What are standard precautions and why should Home Health Aides know about them?
Standard precautions are important to help prevent the spread of infectious disease in a healthcare facility and in the home. Standard precautions can help prevent illness and save lives including that of the HHA. The purpose of standard precautions is to stop germs from traveling from one person to another. Luckily, there’s a lot HHAs can do to stop the spread of infection:
- Wash your hands often and for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear your gloves servicing your patient at ALL times and replace them with new ones if torn.
- Use a mask and eye protection when working with blood, fluids and bodily secretions.
- Dispose of infectious waste.
- Keep the patient’s area clean.
Remember all patients are considered possibly infected, so take the time to protect your patients and yourself!