The State of America’s Nursing Industry
Have you ever wondered how many nurses there were in the United States? How about the top 10 in-demand nursing positions? HealtheCareers has constructed an infographic outlining some interesting facts about American’s nursing industry. Here are a few important ones:
- There are 2,687,310 practicing Registered Nurses as of May 2014.
- The industries that are employing the most RNs is general medical and surgical hospitals (30%), outpatient care centers (15%), home healthcare services (13%), skilled nursing facilities (9%), and physical offices with 7%.
- The states employing the most RNs is New York with 169,560, California with 253,310, Pennsylvania with 128,750, Texas with 190,170, and Florida with 163,950.
- The top 10 in-demand nursing position are:
1. Operating room RN
2. ICU RN
3. Emergency Medicine RN
4. Nursing assistant / certified nursing assistant
5. Labor and delivery RN
6. Cardiology / telemetry RN
7. General medical / surgical RN
8. Post-anesthesia care unit RN
9. Cardiac catheterization lab RN
10. Progressive care / step down RN
- 90% of nurses are satisfied with their nursing jobs and 72% would encourage others to become a nurse.