School Based Occupational Therapist Jobs in New York
Scroll Down For Job Openings
Horizon Healthcare Staffing has many excellent school based occupational therapist jobs located throughout the 5 boroughs of New York and Long Island. The 5 boroughs include Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and Manhattan. Long Island consists of two counties, Nassau County and Suffolk County. We are looking for motivated individuals that want to make a difference in a young student’s life. We have contracts with the New York City Department of Education School Districts and many contracts with Long Island School Districts.
Occupational therapists are licensed rehabilitation care professionals who work to restore or improve physical abilities, promote behavioral changes, adapt surroundings, and teach new skills; the goal is to have the student achieve her or his best physical and/or mental functioning in as it relates to school activities. Occupational therapists provide these services based on a student’s IEP.
What Are The Job Responsibilities of a School Occupational Therapist?
Occupational therapists may provide services in several educationally relevant areas in which they can help promote student success, including, but not limited to:
- Classroom Responsibilities – activities necessary for participation in various classroom activities, including adapting to routines, organizing materials, hand skills necessary for manipulating classroom tools and producing written work
- Functional Sensorimotor Skills/Environmental Interactions – such as staying on task while filtering distractions, interacting cooperatively and appropriately with peers and adults, following directions, observing personal space and utilizing various school equipment safely
- Activities of Daily Living – as it relates to self‐care activities such as hygiene, toileting, feeding, managing personal materials and devices
- Transitioning from school to post‐school activities
What Type of School Based Jobs are Available?
OTs may work full time or on a per diem basis. Schools will call us if an Occupational Therapist calls out sick or needs to take time off. You may fill the opening on a day by day basis or on a full time basis.
What Are The Job Requirements To Become a School Occupational Therapist?
- Valid New York State Occupational Therapist License
- Master’s degree from an accredited occupational therapy school
- Schools usually require at least 6 months experience in working with children
Below are the type of school based occupational therapy jobs we normally recruit for. We have separated the job openings into specific locations. Within these locations, we will have openings in various school districts. The NYC DOE has many school districts within the 5 boroughs. There are also a lot of school districts throughout Long Island. Once you submit your application for one of the regions, one of our recruiters will contact you to see if you want to work in a specific school district. It’s important for us to have your information on file so when a need arises, we can call you to fill it. If you have an interest in working in any of these school locations, please apply.