The job of Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA) was established for the purpose/s of providing educationally related occupational therapy services to students suffering from a variety of cognitive, emotional and/or physical illnesses or disabilities according to the student’s Individualized Education Plan and under the direction of the Occupational Therapist.
COTA Job Details:
- 3 days a week
- Nassau County based School
- Working with children ages 5-21 with autism spectrum disorder
- Assists Occupational Therapist with assessing students' fine motor, and development skills (e.g. oral motor, sensory integration, motor planning, developmental function, activities of daily living, fine motor function postural tone, etc.) for the purpose of determining their deficits and developing recommendations.
- Implements therapeutic activities and instructs students, teachers, parents and other involved persons (e.g. positioning, adjusting special equipment, etc.) for the purpose of providing appropriate care to students and/or supporting the student’s IEP plan for use in the classroom
- Maintains files and/or records in cooperation with the Occupational Therapist (e.g. progress reports, activity logs, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and/or ensuring an up-to-date trail for compliance with various state, federal, and administrative regulations.
- Maintains treatment equipment and supplies in clean and proper working condition for the purpose of implementing motor/therapy goals.
- New York State COTA license
- Previous school or pediatric experience preferred
- Strong communication skills
previous school or pediatric experience