Horizon Healthcare Staffing
Horizon Healthcare Staffing is searching for a SAS Programmer for one of our non-profit healthcare organizations located in Albany, New York. This is a temporary assignment.
SAS Programmer Duties:
- Develops SAS programs, performs analysis of data, writes reports and manages internal databases and data warehouses. Assists in the implementation of these studies and helps coordinate resources needed for project completion. Reports for these studies include small- and large-scale research, field audit and encounter data analysis reports.
- Conducts a variety of additional data validation activities for the Managed Care Department, including validation of encounter data for PA contract, validation of state specific performance measures, and validation of self-reported HEDIS indicators.
- Conducts quality assurance (QA) reviews of SAS programs developed by Managed Care Department programmers for distribution to state entities and contracts.
- Works on several projects concurrently. For several projects, takes responsibility for ensuring that all data collection, analysis and reporting are done timely and to the satisfaction of the relevant customer.
- Communicates regularly with supervisor to ensure understanding customer needs.
- Conducts detailed analysis of MCO encounter data for accuracy, completeness and internal consistency. Assists with design and ongoing modification of this analysis process.
- For encounter data validation projects, quality improvement studies and other special projects, writes clear, detailed, focused summaries of findings, including first drafts of large segments of multi-chapter reports.
- Supports efforts to improve the effectiveness of departmental programming processes.
- Assists in the design of data collection tools, maintains Access databases and Excel workbooks, and analyzes quantitative and qualitative data using SAS.
- Superior analytical and writing skills, with the ability to present data findings, both orally and in writing, to interested parties with varying technical backgrounds.
- SAS programming experience and proficiency required.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with internal/external customers and other interested parties with varying technical backgrounds.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet client deliverables.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as in a team environment.
- A minimum of 3 years of SAS programming experience
- PC SAS programming experience programming in Base SAS 9.4 version or newer, with primary focus on data manipulation, analysis and reporting.
- Experience developing and maintaining SAS code that includes; SAS Macros - %let statement, %macro loop statements and %if statements; PROC SQL – merging datasets, using CASE statements and WHERE statements to query the SAS datasets; PROC REPORT – including using ODS to produce PDF, Excel and RTF files, compute blocks, sub-totals and styles for color coding.
- SAS Import and export of fixed width text, comma separated files, Excel and Access tables.
- Experience using Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) to populate a report template developed in Excel from a SAS program is a plus.
- Experience working and manipulating large datasets (15GB plus).
- Experience manipulating dates in SAS. Examples: Calculating age as of index episode date; Identifying member’s 18th month birthday; Identifying a member’s continuous enrollment when the period is variable and depends on an index date or member’s 2nd
- Knowledge of HEDIS measures and experience in programming the following utilizing SAS: Understanding of HEDIS value sets; Experience programming measures and calculating the denominators and numerators; Calculation of a member’s continuous enrollment period for a member from multiple enrollment rows; concatenation of member’s multiple enrollment records and identification of gap period in enrollment; Concatenation of inpatient claims submitted as interim bills.
- Experience validating/reviewing and identifying issues with source code developed in SAS, SQL or pseudo code for Performance Measures.
- Experience with a variety of software packages, particularly Excel, Access and PowerPoint and Word.