Line Supervisor – Histology
Havertown, PA area
Sign on bonus!
Horizon Healthcare Staffing is searching for a line supervisor for one of our clients located in Havertown, PA. The line supervisor precisely and accurately performs and supervises the performance of routine and specialized histology techniques and procedures. Duties also include optimization of IHC protocol, reagent and supply inventory management, IHC study documentation and reporting, and training of colleagues in IHC procedures. Although a majority of time is spent in an office environment, infrequent exposure to both blood borne pathogens and chemical hazards may occur.
3:00 pm - 11:30 am Monday - Friday, potential Saturday and overtime as needed
The line supervisor provides direct bench supervision for the daily technical and clerical workload. Responsible for maintaining standard operating procedure, quality control and approved quality assurance. Maintains the department and manuals to be ready for inspections on an ongoing basis. Coordinates and supervise Senior and bench level technologist as well as lab aides. Assures that the Histology and IHC groups produce quality work on a timely basis while adhering to all policies and procedures mandated by state federal and regulatory agencies. Performs all Administrative duties related to the department to include but not limited to: scheduling, evaluations, writing policies, validations, disciplinary actions, etc.
- Microscopically reviews discrepancies found on daily Quality Control (QC) and abnormal review making recommendations to senior technologist for revised interpretation if necessary.
- Monitors technologist compliance with department quality assurance program as established by department manager and Department Director maintaining proper documentation of both technical and clerical errors.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Histology laboratory and supervision of the technical and support staff. In conjunction with the Department Manager, ensures that all departmental policies and procedures meet the standards of current state and federal regulations.
- Provides technical feedback to staff regarding performance, documenting corrective action and reviewing cases at bi-headed scope as deemed necessary
- Works bench and provide backup for bench Histotechnicians/Histotechnologists in sectioning and staining
- Reviews follow up data making recommendations to Director for revised interpretive criteria as needed.
- Makes certain that all federal, state and other regulatory standards are followed.
- Effectively schedules staff to meet turn around time commitment of the organization making certain that work deadlines are met.
- Documents counseling of employees for performance deficiencies. Delegates’ responsibilities to staff to assure effective workflow and proper cross training.
- Ensures proper hiring and orientation of new employee’s personally supervising pre-employment testing procedures, department orientation and QC release.
- Disseminates information to staff regarding changes in policy and procedure affected by the management team or Medical Director.
- Participates in the safety training program of the company and makes certain that staff is properly trained
- Reviews performance of staff implementing progressive discipline when necessary.
- Minimizes department costs by prudently approving vacation requests, reducing absenteeism, controlling overtime expense and operating within budgetary guidelines
- Demonstrates a strong sense of professional ethics and immediately brings to the attention of the Department Director or Operations Director suspected errors that might impact patient care. -Ensure proper time record editing.
- Ensure the technical quality, so that the Pathologists can adequately evaluate prepared slides.
- Ensure that all outstanding cases are reconciled.
- Maintain appropriate Quality Assurance documentation.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations
- 4-6 years experience as a Histotechnologist, with 1-2 years in a leadership role preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience in a high volume independent laboratory a plus.
- HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP)
- License as a Histology technologist and a supervisor and/or ASCP certification as a Histology technologist.
- Successful completion of pre employment proficiency screening exam and color blindness test.
- IAC certification preferred.
- Proficient with light microscopy, microtome, tissue processors, stainer, embedding stations, IHC platforms and other laboratory specimen preparation equipment.
- Working knowledge of LIS and PC network environment to include word-processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
- Detailed comprehension of state, federal and professional regulations
- Bachelors Degree
- Advanced courses in Business, Management or Science preferred